Top 10 Ways to Enjoy SIM Membership
1) Attend a local chapter meeting or event - your Indianapolis SIM chapter is where members meet to network, to exchange information, and to learn about what's new in the industry.
2) Attend a regional or national event at discounted rates - meet other IT executives at a regional CIO Forum or at SIM's signature event, SIMposium.
3) Check out SIM's Career Center - whether you are in transition or keeping an eye out for your next opportunity, the Career Center has resources from major search firms, tips for managing your career, and more. You can also participate in SIM's Member In Transition group. This group includes members who are looking for some help/advice in their job searches as well as members who are employed and willing to help. Participate in the weekly conference calls and email groups where members share leads and offer free advice.
4) Join a working group - gain professional edge by collaborating with peers across industries and geographies. Currently active groups include:
a. SIM Women
b. Enterprise Architecture
c. IT Procurement
d. IT Workforce
5) Gain insight into current trends - SIM's Advanced Practices Council (APC) is a community of CIOs who commission academic research on IT management topics. Findings are made available to all SIM members through our web site. Recent published reports include:
a. SaaS, IaaS and PaaS: Realities and Emerging Integration Issues
b. How Do CIOs Measure and Communicate IT Performance?
c. Energy Informatics
6) Learn about what our universities are studying - MIS Quarterly Executive (MISQE) is a journal dedicated to publishing high-quality research that IT executives can use. This is not the theoretical stuff of academic journals, this publication grew out of the need for current, practical research. SIM members have access to the entire MISQE Reference Library, which contains a listing of all articles published since its inception in June 2002.
7) Develop individual leadership skills - SIM's Regional Leadership Forum (RLF) is an intensive, nine-month leadership development program focused on creating authentic leaders. It is designed to help CIOs develop their high potential IT leaders/managers. SIM members receive a discount.
8) Enjoy a subscription to SIM's weekly newsletter - SIM Connect tackles today's most relevant issues, gathered from sources like The Associated Press, The New York Times, Financial Times and the leading industry publications. SIM Connect keeps professionals informed of topics that impact the daily operation of their business. Access to the archives is also available with SIM membership.
9) Discover what your peers are doing - SIM News Extra is a monthly newsletter which contains a compilation of association news, articles of interest, interviews and industry insights.
10) Review a little research - the SIM Online Library contains a wealth of information on hundreds of topics gathered from a variety of sources and made exclusively available to SIM members. Examples include:
a. White papers focused on IT thought leadership provided by SIM Partners
b. Submissions for the SIM Paper Awards Competition, which is SIM's annual research contest that has attracted nationally recognized researchers for several years
c. Working group deliverables
d. Past SIMposium presentations
e. Past Academic workshop presentations